What is Singapore Math?
- Singapore Math is the country of Singapore’s systematic and consistent application of a synthesis of established learning theories. The work of Jerome Bruner holds a pre eminent place in utilizing his 3 modes of representation; enactive, iconic and symbolic. Singapore educators have labeled this the CPA approach. Concrete -> Pictorial -> Abstract
How is Singapore Math different from other US Programs?
- Each lesson is presented concretely, then pictorially, before the abstract representation is shown
- Greater emphasis on problem solving
- Fewer topics taught in a year
- Topics are taught to Mastery – concepts are not re-taught, but rather are extended the following year
What are the differences between the three textbook series?
- Primary Mathematics US Edition - Written by the Singapore Ministry of Education. Brought to the US by SingaporeMath.com for initial use in the home school community.
- Primary Mathematics Standards Edition- Adapted from the US Edition by the Ministry of Education to meet the California State Standards. Tricia Salerno and Sherri Adler co-authored the first approved California state training manual for this edition.
- Math in Focus- Houghton Miflin collaborated with Marshall Cavendish to create their version of utilizing the concepts developed in Singapore.
Why use Singapore as a model when other countries have high scores on the TIMMS also?
- Finland has very strong scores but the number of people in the US that speak Finnish is very small. Since the national language of Singapore is English it didn’t take much to adapt the books for US students.
We are moving to the new Common Core State Standards. How does Singapore Math relate?
- Singapore was one of the programs looked to when developing the Common Core. The alignment in K-5 is very close.
Does Primary Mathematics have a kindergarten program?
- YES! In the country of Singapore students do not attend kindergarten for the most part. Formal instruction starts in first grade. For the US Market, SingaporeMath.com collaborated with Dr. Yeap Ban Har, an internationally known educator, to create a developmentally appropriate kindergarten program. EARLYBIRD mathematics was born.
What do students do after 6th grade of Singapore Math?
- Students have performed well in middle school, with many being able to go on to Algebra in seventh grade.
- There are middle school math programs developed in Singapore that are available from SingaporeMath.com
What should schools do to try to ensure a successful implementation of Singapore Math?
- Teacher training and ongoing support are crucial to a successful implementation. The methods used in Singapore Math are very different from what most American teachers have traditionally used. Bringing a professional on-site who has had extensive experience in working with schools making the transition gives teachers the proper amount of support. Once SMARTTraining has sent a professional trainer on-site to your school, you are a member of our community. We provide on-going email support at no additional charge.
Shop NOW! Cart
Your Cart is currently empty.
NOW! on Twitter